- Last Updated: 28 August 2013
COEXIST is a broad, multidisciplinary project which will evaluate competing activities and interactions in European coastal areas. The ultimate goal of the COEXIST project is to provide a roadmap to better integration, sustainability and synergies across the diverse activities taking place in the European coastal zone.
A roadmap for integration of aquaculture and fisheries with other activities in the coastal zone will be the central output of the project.
The ultimate project outcomes will be:
- Characterisation of relevant European coastal marine ecosystems, their current utilisation and spatial management.
- Evaluation of spatial management tools for combining coastal fisheries, aquaculture and other uses, both now and in the future.
- To contribute to the maintenance and development of coastal fisheries and aquaculture
- To contribute to the knowledge based economy
- To provide a framework to assist with the resolution of the existing and future conflicts related to interactions between aquaculture, fisheries and other sectors
- To contribute to the formulation, implementation and assessment of the current EU policies and legislation
- To improve the management tools based in ecosystem approach
- To contribute to the sustainable development at local and regional levels and to the growth of aquaculture and fisheries sectors
- To improve the relationship and communication among stakeholders, scientist and civil society
- To support new knowledge transfer across Europe